When teeth erupt above the surface of the gums, it can cause a painful sensation called teething. Teething is natural, but also painful. With a few small adjustments, teething treatments can drastically improve a child’s distress.
The excitement of a better smile awaits with teething treatments. The key to understanding teething includes the following:
– Serious circumstances may develop when teething, which include diarrhea, high fevers, chills, and sporadic rashes. If any of these symptoms arise, contact your child’s pediatrician.
– Teething tablets and medications should only be administered under the guidance of the child’s health care professional.
– Frequent signs and symptoms that your child is teething including changes in their sleep patterns, excessive drooling, and irregular fussiness or loss of appetite.
– To help ease pain and discomfort in your child, look for ways to help soothe them. Usually, you can use teething rings, a cold spoon, a gauze pad, or your finger if it is clean.
– Children typically begin teething when the first tooth erupts, around the age of 6 months.
If you would like to have your child’s teeth inspected by our team at Hardy Smiles Pediatric Dentistry, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Troy Hardy and our team at our pediatric office in Lehi, Utah. To schedule a visit, please call us at 801-331-8449. We look forward to having your child as our guest soon.