If you are a parent of a child under the age of five, you probably recognize that your child cannot yet nor care for their mouth. However, their teeth still need daily care, so the state of their oral health becomes your responsibility. We understand that as a parent, you likely want your child to have the best oral health beginnings they can manage. It can also be stressful to know how to care for their mouth with all you have to worry about. Here are some tips to help you along:
– Around the time they get their first tooth or at the age of one, you’ll want to bring your child into Dr. Troy Hardy’s dental office for their first checkup. After that, they’ll need to come and see us every six months. This will help ensure the support of Hardy Smiles Pediatric Dentistry in the proper growth of their teeth.
– Each time you brush their teeth, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a grain of rice and slowly make tooth-wide strokes along the length of their mouth. Make sure to brush their gums and tongue as well.
– As soon as your child grows two teeth next to one another, you will want to floss their teeth for them.
– Feeding your child meals low in sugar, starch and acid will help their teeth stay healthy.
– Never share toothbrushes or other dental cleaning tools with a child. This can pass bacteria through their mouths.
Dr. Troy Hardy and our team at Hardy Smiles Pediatric Dentistry are excellent resources in aiding your child in their oral health care. If you would like to book a visit to our office in Lehi, Utah, you can call us at 801-331-8449 today!